Program Coordinator: Karen Dacey
Karen email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Latisha email: email@example.com
301 N. Trade St., Tryon, NC 28782
Polk News: Events & Important Dates
BBBS news: Polkin’ Around September 2015
BB Alan Maurer LB Abdias 4 years
BS Lynne Parsons LS Josie 2 years
Mark your calendars!
- Bowl for Kids’ Sake is Saturday, October 31 from 12:00-2:00!. Please join us for Halloween bowling fundraiser for BBBS! Volunteers needed! To set up a BFKS team or make a pledge, please visit: https://www.firstgiving.com/bbbswnc/bowl-for-kids-sake-polk-county-2015
- Sunday, October 18, Tour de Leaves bike ride will benefit BBBS. Volunteers needed!
Local Events Calendar:
- If you would like to create a Monarch Butterfly garden, contact PAC for free seed packets at pacolet.org.
- For info on the Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site summer programs online at nps.gov/carl.
- For info on KidSenses summer programs visit kidsenses.org
- For info on Hands On Museum summer programs visit handsonwnc.org
- Remember our local farmer’s markets in Columbus and Landrum on Saturday mornings, Saluda on Friday afternoons and Tryon Thursday afternoons!
- To help your Littles discover his/her interests visit: www.search-institute.org/sparks
Have a HeArt for Big Brothers Big Sisters was a great success! Many thanks to the Upstairs Artspace board and staff, all the talented artists, the generous bidders and winners, the many helpful volunteers, and to Jim Cornell & Doug Dacey for making the bisque hearts. We are so grateful for our sponsors: Event Sponsor – Song Hill Reserve, Opening Reception Sponsors – Mike & Paula Mullenax, Heart Sponsor – Phoenix Futures Inc, and Closing Night Sponsors – Dave & Sue Anderson. Special thanks to BS Sue and her LS Nathalie for preparing and donating such a wonderful spread! (We are still getting kudos about our caterer!!)
Polk Big Brothers Big Sisters was a charity recipient of the Tour de Leaves bicycle tour on October 18, with over 230 riders participating!
BOWL FOR KIDS’ SAKE!
Join us on Saturday, October 31 from 12:00-2:00!
Special thanks to our sponsors!
Terry Ackerman, Financial Advisor
Roger & Jennifer Smith
Morning Glory Farm
A. Bailey Nager Attorney at Law
BBBS is also a charity recipient of the 3rd annual Tryon BeerFest, and we appreciate their generosity!
- Hands On! A Child’s Gallery listed at www.handsonwnc.org
- KidSenses, www.kidsenses.com/about/events
- Team ECCO Center for Ocean Awareness, www.teamecco.org
Felburn Foundation Nature Library, 3161 Hwy 176 next to Caro-Mi, open M-W-F, 12-6, (828) 859-6745, call for info on expanded hours.
There are lots of children’s activities at Hands On! A Child’s Gallery in Hendersonville: 828-697-8333, www.handsonwnc.org.
The Hendersonville Museum under the old courthouse downtown is free and open on Sundays from 1-5 p.m. www.hendersoncountymuseum.com
KidSenses Children’s Museum in Rutherfordton, (828) 286-2120, www.kidsenses.com
For hiking, visit
- The Norman Wilder Forest for a moderate 2-3 mile hike, Hwy 176 & Tau Rock Vineyard Rd, Tryon.
- The trailhead to the Blue Wall Preserve is on Dug Hill Road off Lakeshore Drive on Lake Lanier.
- FENCE has miles of hiking trails.
WNC Nature Center, Asheville: Free admission for Littles when their Bigs show participant cards.
For more regional discounts, visit our organization’s webpage at www.bbbswnc.org – Match Central.
Flat Rock Playhouse – Free tickets for select plays, contact BBBS.
Chimney Rock Park – Big pays, Little gets in free.
Pearson’s Falls is offering Polk Bigs/Littles free admission (regularly $5 ages 13 up, $1 ages 6-12) once per year. Present your BBBS ID card at the gatehouse. Pearson’s Falls is open, 10-5 M-Sat, noon-5 Sun. For info visit www.pearsonsfalls.org.
Check out these regional websites:
Polk County Public Library Online Resources: Freegal: Download free music! Reading Rockets: Reading comprehension and language arts teaching strategies for kids. Homework help and other online learning tools from NC LIVE (call the library for password to access resources, 894-8721 Columbus, 749-2117 Saluda), www.publib.polknc.org.
For homework help via Polk County Library visit: www.nclive.org/browse/homeworkhelp
For more area activities:
More About BBBS Polk County:
Bigs & Littles celebrated summer fun with a pool party and picnic at Matthew’s backyard paradise!
BS Monica, BS Helen, LS Allie, LS Vicky
BB Mike, LB Zane, BS Paula
BB Michael & LB “King” George
Traditional Program: Volunteers are matched with Littles and develop friendships through outings in the community.
M&M: Volunteers spend one hour a week one-on-one with a student who needs a little extra attention at school. Schools served: O P Earle, Polk Central, Saluda and Tryon Elementary schools.