Program Coordinator: Karen Dacey
Karen email: email@example.com
Latisha email: firstname.lastname@example.org
301 N. Trade St., Tryon, NC 28782
Polk News: Events & Important Dates
Polkin’ Around – March 2015
- BS Patty Slater LS Mary 11 years!!!
- BB Michael Veatch LB Erik 7 years!!
- BB Allen Burdett LB Matias 5 years!
- BS Sue Anderson LS Nathalie 3 years
- BB Mike Mullenax LB Zane 3 years
- BB Dan Dworkin LB Aaron 2 years
To help your Littles discover his/her interests visit: www.search-institute.org/sparks
Have a HeArt for Big Brothers Big Sisters was a great success! Many thanks to the Upstairs Artspace board and staff, all the talented artists, the generous bidders and winners, the many helpful volunteers, and to Jim Cornell & Doug Dacey for making the bisque hearts. We are so grateful for our sponsors: Event Sponsor – Song Hill Reserve, Opening Reception Sponsors – Mike & Paula Mullenax, Heart Sponsor – Phoenix Futures Inc, and Closing Night Sponsors – Dave & Sue Anderson. Special thanks to BS Sue and her LS Nathalie for preparing and donating such a wonderful spread! (We are still getting kudos about our caterer!!)
Polk Big Brothers Big Sisters was a charity recipient of the Tour de Leaves bicycle tour on October 18, with over 230 riders participating!
BOWL FOR KIDS’ SAKE was a great success! Many thanks to our wonderful sponsors: Strike Sponsor: CooperRiis Healing Community; Pin Sponsors: Terry Ackerman, Lichty Guitars, Morning Glory Farm, Bailey Nager, Roger & Jennifer Smith; Team Sponsors: Larry & Gretchen Boyd, John & Cindy Boyle, Becky Kennedy & the Polk County Democratic Women, Kiwanis Club of Tryon,Digit & Beth Laughridge, Mill Spring Baptist Church, No Problem Builders, St Luke’s Hospital, David & Patty Slater, The Tryon Daily Bulletin; and many Lane Sponsors , Pledge Friends, and Door Prize Donors.
Special thanks to Becky Kennedy, Dan Dworkin, and Michael & Sheila Veatch for their extraordinary pledge-raising success! Thanks to all bowlers & donors; to volunteers: Alan Breeden, Karen Dacey, Rob Fuller, Sharon Kolbye, Beth Laughridge, Lynn Montgomery, Paula Mullenax, Tristan, and Michael & Sheila Veatch; to Autumn Lanes Bowling Center; to all of our volunteer Bigs, and generous supporters.
BBBS is also a charity recipient of the 3rd annual Tryon BeerFest, and we appreciate their generosity!
Polk County Library news: Afternoon Adventures for K-5 Tuesdays at Polk, and Mondays in Saluda, 4:PM. Sam’s Reading Buddies @ Saluda Dec 8 & 22 at 4:PM.
- Dec 1 & 2, Zumba Fitness.
- Dec 9 &15, Lego Fun
- Dec 16: Gymnastics
- thru Mar 15, Tryon Allstars at Ziglar Field, exhibit on semi-pro baseball team, Tryon Fine Arts Center, Tu-Fr 10-4, Sat 10-1, 828-859-8322, FREE.
- Mar 2, Nintendo Wii U Gaming, Saluda Library, 3:30pm, FREE.
- Mar 4, Teen Nintendo Wii U Gaming, Polk County Public Library Columbus for grades 6-12, 6pm, FREE.
- Mar 4-8, The SpongeBob Movie, rated PG, Tryon Theatre, 828-859-6811.
- Mar 6, Step into Spring, Polk County Public Library Columbus, 3-5pm. Planting seeds, feeding birds, making garden markers and bath treats, plus more children’s activities, (828) 894-8721, FREE.
- Mar 5, Nintendo Wii U Gaming, Polk County Public Library Columbus, 4pm, FREE.
- Mar 6, African Wrap Dolls workshop with Valeria Watson, Roseland Community Center, 56 Peake St, Tryon, 4-6 pm, FREE.
- Mar 7, Cook with Soul class, Roseland Community Center, 56 Peake St, Tryon, 4-6pm, FREE.
- Mar 10, LEGO Junior Makers, Saluda Library, 3:30pm, FREE.
- Mar 10, Teen Time: Make a CD Clock, Landrum, Library 4-5pm, FREE. 864-457-2218 email@example.com “Create your own unique, personalized wall clock. Materials and snacks will be provided for you to convert an old CD into a super rad wall clock. You can even bring your own favorite CD. Teens in 7th – 12th grade are welcome, and a good time is guaranteed. (Get it? Good time? At least I tried.)”
- Mar 11, LEGO Junior Makers, Polk County Public Library Columbus, 4pm, FREE.
- Mar 11-15, The Imitation Game, rated PG13, Tryon Theatre, 859-6811.
- Mar 14, Go Fly a Kite day at FENCE, 1-4pm, FREE.
- Mar 15, Armchair Traveler@FENCE, 4pm, FREE. “Wildlife and Scenery of Australia” From Duck-billed Platypus in the Queensland rivers to Red Kangaroos in the Outback, join Simon as he takes us on a fascinating journey across Australia.”
- Mar 16, More Than Honey, unrated documentary about honeybees, Tryon Theatre, 828-859-6811.
- Mar 18-22, Paddington, rated PG, Tryon Theatre, 859-6811.
- Mar 19, Tweens” DIY Book Covers, Landrum Library, 3:30-4:30pm, FREE, 864-457-2218. Tweens will make and design covers for hard back books. Materials and snacks provided. This program is for 5th and 6th grades or ages 10-12 only.
- Mar 19, Night at the Museum, Secret of the Tomb, FREE movie night@Polk County Public Library Columbus, with free popcorn and drinks, 6pm.
- Mar 21, Super Saturday Children’s Theater Festival, various venues in Tryon, 9am-4pm. Tickets $2 each on sale March 11. 828-859-8322, ext. 301 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.tryonsupersaturday.com/
- Mar 21, Gold in the Foothills, FREE presentation at Walnut Creek Preserve, more information at www.pacolet.org
- Mar 23, Teen Book Club, Polk County Public Library Columbus for grades 6-12, 4 pm
- Mar 24, Teen Video Game Extravaganza, Landrum Library, 3:30-5pm, 864-457-2218 email@example.com “Teens in grades 7-12, join us at the Landrum Library on March 24th to play video games old & new. In belated celebration of Teen Tech Week we’ll have retro systems you’ve never seen & new consoles you don’t have yet, from Atari to Xbox One. All the classics new & old will be here. Test your skill. Snacks will be provided.”
- Mar 25, Nintendo Wii U Gaming, Polk County Public Library Columbus, 6pm, FREE.
- Mar 26-29, Harmon Field Heritage Days, Civil War camp and reenactment. Thursday (11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.) and Friday (11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.) are Educational Days. Students rotate through activities from the Civil War era and the Civil War Camp. Saturday the Civil War Camp is open from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Sunday the Camp is open from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Music on the Battlefield will be on Saturday, 3:00 p.m. FREE admission. www.serendipityrancher.com/hfheritagedays.html
- Mar 27, The Sub-Zero Effect, Kidsenses presentation at Polk County Public Library Columbus, 4pm, FREE.
- Mar 28, Morning of Excellence, Tryon Fine Arts Center Arts in Education committee presents the opening of a high school art competition. Opens 10:30 am, FREE admission.
- Mar 30, Nintendo Wii U Gaming, Saluda Library, 3:30pm, FREE.
- Hands On! A Child’s Gallery listed at www.handsonwnc.org
- KidSenses, www.kidsenses.com/about/events
- Team ECCO Center for Ocean Awareness, www.teamecco.org
Felburn Foundation Nature Library, 3161 Hwy 176 next to Caro-Mi, open M-W-F, 12-6, (828) 859-6745, call for info on expanded hours.
There are lots of children’s activities at Hands On! A Child’s Gallery in Hendersonville: 828-697-8333, www.handsonwnc.org.
The Hendersonville Museum under the old courthouse downtown is free and open on Sundays from 1-5 p.m. www.hendersoncountymuseum.com
KidSenses Children’s Museum in Rutherfordton, (828) 286-2120, www.kidsenses.com
For hiking, visit
- The Norman Wilder Forest for a moderate 2-3 mile hike, Hwy 176 & Tau Rock Vineyard Rd, Tryon.
- The trailhead to the Blue Wall Preserve is on Dug Hill Road off Lakeshore Drive on Lake Lanier.
- FENCE has miles of hiking trails.
WNC Nature Center, Asheville: Free admission for Littles when their Bigs show participant cards.
For more regional discounts, visit our organization’s webpage at www.bbbswnc.org – Match Central.
Flat Rock Playhouse – Free tickets for select plays, contact BBBS.
Chimney Rock Park – Big pays, Little gets in free.
Pearson’s Falls is offering Polk Bigs/Littles free admission (regularly $5 ages 13 up, $1 ages 6-12) once per year. Present your BBBS ID card at the gatehouse. Pearson’s Falls is open, 10-5 M-Sat, noon-5 Sun. For info visit www.pearsonsfalls.org.
Check out these regional websites:
Polk County Public Library Online Resources: Freegal: Download free music! Reading Rockets: Reading comprehension and language arts teaching strategies for kids. Homework help and other online learning tools from NC LIVE (call the library for password to access resources, 894-8721 Columbus, 749-2117 Saluda), www.publib.polknc.org.
For homework help via Polk County Library visit: www.nclive.org/browse/homeworkhelp
For more area activities:
More About BBBS Polk County:
Bigs & Littles celebrated summer fun with a pool party and picnic at Matthew’s backyard paradise!
BS Monica, BS Helen, LS Allie, LS Vicky
BB Mike, LB Zane, BS Paula
BB Michael & LB “King” George
Traditional Program: Volunteers are matched with Littles and develop friendships through outings in the community.
M&M: Volunteers spend one hour a week one-on-one with a student who needs a little extra attention at school. Schools served: O P Earle, Polk Central, Saluda and Tryon Elementary schools.