Program Coordinator: Karen Dacey
301 N. Trade St., Tryon, NC 28782
Polk News: Events & Important Dates
Polkin’ Around – November-December 2014
- BS Lynne Parsons, LB Russell – 10 years!!!
- BS Monica Jones, LS Vicky – 8 years!!
- BS Cathy Smith Bowers, LS Belen – 6 years!
- BS Darlene Stone, LS Hannah – 3 years
- BB Bob Hutchison, LB Aaron – 3 years
- BS Paula Mullenax, LB Zane – 2 years
- BS Betsy Burdett, LS Tristan – 2 years
- BS Rhonda O’Connor, LS Aaleiyah – 1 year
To help your Littles discover his/her interests visit: www.search-institute.org/sparks
Polk Big Brothers Big Sisters was a charity recipient of the Tour de Leaves bicycle tour on October 18, with over 230 riders participating!
BOWL FOR KIDS’ SAKE was a great success! Many thanks to our wonderful sponsors: Strike Sponsor: CooperRiis Healing Community; Pin Sponsors: Terry Ackerman, Lichty Guitars, Morning Glory Farm, Bailey Nager, Roger & Jennifer Smith; Team Sponsors: Larry & Gretchen Boyd, John & Cindy Boyle, Becky Kennedy & the Polk County Democratic Women, Kiwanis Club of Tryon,Digit & Beth Laughridge, Mill Spring Baptist Church, No Problem Builders, St Luke’s Hospital, David & Patty Slater, The Tryon Daily Bulletin; and many Lane Sponsors , Pledge Friends, and Door Prize Donors.
Special thanks to Becky Kennedy, Dan Dworkin, and Michael & Sheila Veatch for their extraordinary pledge-raising success! Thanks to all bowlers & donors; to volunteers: Alan Breeden, Karen Dacey, Rob Fuller, Sharon Kolbye, Beth Laughridge, Lynn Montgomery, Paula Mullenax, Tristan, and Michael & Sheila Veatch; to Autumn Lanes Bowling Center; to all of our volunteer Bigs, and generous supporters.
BBBS is also a charity recipient of the 3rd annual Tryon BeerFest, and we appreciate their generosity!
Polk County Library news: Afternoon Adventures for K-5 Tuesdays at Polk, and Mondays in Saluda, 4:PM. Sam’s Reading Buddies @ Saluda Dec 8 & 22 at 4:PM.
- Dec 1 & 2, Zumba Fitness.
- Dec 9 &15, Lego Fun
- Dec 16: Gymnastics
- Nov 27, Happy Thanksgiving!! We are thankful for all of our Bigs, Littles, volunteers and supporters.
- Nov 29, Heritage Holiday Celebration: Arts & Crafts bazaar, 9:AM-5:PM, 4:PM storytelling by Marilyn McMinn-McCredie. 899-5111.
- Nov 29, Landrum Christmas Stroll & Light Up Landrum, 10:AM-5:PM, open house downtown shops, refreshments, and tree lighting.
- Nov 29, Saluda Tailgate Holiday Market, 1-3:PM,
- Dec 2, Santa visits LaurelHurst, 2:30-4:30 PM, refreshments will be served.
- Dec 4, Landrum Christmas Parade, 5:PM.
- Dec 4, Do it Yourself Messiah, concert at Tryon Fine Arts Center, 7:30 PM.
- Dec 4-7& 11-14, A Christmas Story, Tryon Little Theatre, 859-2466 or www.tltinfo.org.
- Dec 5-19, 100×100, Art fundraiser for the Upstairs.
- Dec 5, Landrum High School Chorus, Tryon Fine Arts Center, 1:PM.
- Dec 5, Tryon Christmas Stroll, 5-8:PM.
- Dec 6, A Tuba Christmas, Polk County High School, 1:30PM, free.
- Dec 10, Tryon Christmas Parade, 5:PM, music, floats, candy, Santa.
- Dec 10-14, Alexander & the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, rated PG, Tryon Theatre, 859-6811, http://www.tryontheatre.com.
- Dec 12, Saluda Hometown Christmas, open house downtown, music, refreshments, 6-8:PM.
- Dec 13, Run/Walk scholarship benefit,9:AM, http://holycrosstryon.org/parish-life/race-to-the-head-of-the-class
- Dec 13, Saluda Children’s Christmas Workshop, Saluda Fire Dept, 9:30AM-1:PM, Christmas art projects, free ages 5+, call 828-749-4521.
- Dec 13, Big Brothers Big Sisters annual Christmas Party, Morning Glory Farm, Mill Spring, 2-4:PM, refreshments, holiday craft, bonfire, music, gifts.
- Dec 13, Columbus Christmas Parade, 4:PM.
- Dec 14, Mostly Hall Christmas open house & silent art auction to benefit Big Brothers Big Sisters and Steps to Hope, 3-6:PM, 66 Fox Trot Lane, Tryon. Light refreshments, home and art tours, tree decorating. Littles welcome with adult.
- Dec 14, Community Chorus, 3:PM, Polk County High School.
- Dec 17, Teen Book Club at Polk Co Library: discussing “Let it Snow” at 4:PM. Refreshments and crafts workshop to follow. To register.call 894-8721 x227 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dec 18, Drum Circle, Polk Co Library, 5:30-7:30 PM.
- Dec 18, Polk County High School Band Christmas performance, 7:PM.
- Dec 22-Jan 2 Polk & Spartanburg Schools Christmas break.
Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!
- Hands On! A Child’s Gallery listed at www.handsonwnc.org
- KidSenses, www.kidsenses.com/about/events
- Team ECCO Center for Ocean Awareness, www.teamecco.org
Felburn Foundation Nature Library, 3161 Hwy 176 next to Caro-Mi, open M-W-F, 12-6, (828) 859-6745, call for info on expanded hours.
There are lots of children’s activities at Hands On! A Child’s Gallery in Hendersonville: 828-697-8333, www.handsonwnc.org.
The Hendersonville Museum under the old courthouse downtown is free and open on Sundays from 1-5 p.m. www.hendersoncountymuseum.com
KidSenses Children’s Museum in Rutherfordton, (828) 286-2120, www.kidsenses.com
For hiking, visit
- The Norman Wilder Forest for a moderate 2-3 mile hike, Hwy 176 & Tau Rock Vineyard Rd, Tryon.
- The trailhead to the Blue Wall Preserve is on Dug Hill Road off Lakeshore Drive on Lake Lanier.
- FENCE has miles of hiking trails.
WNC Nature Center, Asheville: Free admission for Littles when their Bigs show participant cards.
For more regional discounts, visit our organization’s webpage at www.bbbswnc.org – Match Central.
Flat Rock Playhouse – Free tickets for select plays, contact BBBS.
Chimney Rock Park – Big pays, Little gets in free.
Pearson’s Falls is offering Polk Bigs/Littles free admission (regularly $5 ages 13 up, $1 ages 6-12) once per year. Present your BBBS ID card at the gatehouse. Pearson’s Falls is open, 10-5 M-Sat, noon-5 Sun. For info visit www.pearsonsfalls.org.
Check out these regional websites:
Polk County Public Library Online Resources: Freegal: Download free music! Reading Rockets: Reading comprehension and language arts teaching strategies for kids. Homework help and other online learning tools from NC LIVE (call the library for password to access resources, 894-8721 Columbus, 749-2117 Saluda), www.publib.polknc.org.
For homework help via Polk County Library visit: www.nclive.org/browse/homeworkhelp
For more area activities:
More About BBBS Polk County:
Bigs & Littles celebrated summer fun with a pool party and picnic at Matthew’s backyard paradise!
BS Monica, BS Helen, LS Allie, LS Vicky
BB Mike, LB Zane, BS Paula
BB Michael & LB “King” George
Traditional Program: Volunteers are matched with Littles and develop friendships through outings in the community.
M&M: Volunteers spend one hour a week one-on-one with a student who needs a little extra attention at school. Schools served: O P Earle, Polk Central, Saluda and Tryon Elementary schools.