Program Coordinator: Karen Dacey
Outreach Coordinator: Pam Hilsman
301 N. Trade St.
Tryon, NC 28782
Polk News: Events & Important Dates
Polkin’ Around July 2014Happy Anniversary!
- BB Jim Peterman LB Kyle 8 years!!
- BS Jana Hinely LS Lydia 3 years
- BS Hilary Keller LS Chloe 2 years
To help your Littles discover his/her interests visit: http://www.search-institute.org/sparks
- Peter of Wolf Creek Adventures is offering canoeing sessions on Lake Julian and a river trip on the French Broad River this summer! Lake practice: 7/1 and 7/22 at Lake Julian from 6 until 8 p.m. River Trip: 7/26 from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. at the French Broad River. Email Jamye at email@example.com to sign up!
- Mark Your Calendar: Saturday, July 26, BBBS Annual Pool Party & Picnic, 2-4:PM at Matthew’s in Columbus!!
- Coming up! One of our most popular group activities of the year! Don’t miss out! Join us for a Rafting trip for Bigs and Littles on Sunday, September 7 at 2:00! We’ll be rafting a 5-mile trip on the French Broad River with French Broad Rafting and Ziplines! Bigs cost is $10 each (we will cover the cost for Polk matches) – Littles are free. We will sign you up for the trip WHEN WE RECEIVE your commitment. Open to the first 17 matches only. This one will fill up fast!
Polk County Public Library summer programs for youth:
- All youth can sign up for the summer reading program at the Polk County Public Library. The grand prizes for youth birth to grade 5 are a Frozen set (DVD and book), $25 Game Stop gift card, arts and crafts set, Minecraft LEGO set, sports set (soccer ball, basketball, and football), and summer fun set (water toys and bubbles). The grand prize drawings will be held at the Wrap-Up Party on August 5th. You do not have to be present to win!
- For teens grades 6-12: The grand prizes are a $35 Amazon gift card and (as determined by members of the Teen Book Club) is a swag bag full of memorabilia from your favorite series and authors such as Dr. Who, Sherlock, Game of Thrones, Divergent, Marvel, John Green, and Supernatural. The grand prize drawings will be held at Teen Night on August 21st. You do not have to be present to win!
…Friday, Fabulous 4th of July Festival in Columbus, 10:AM-10:PM. Music, food vendors, crafts, fun park, fireworks.
…July 5, Coon Dog Day, Main St, Saluda, 8:AM-11:PM. Music, parade, food, crafts, street dance and more. http://www.saluda.com/events.html?i=events_coondog.html
…July 9-13, Godzilla, Tryon Theatre, PG13 for language, violence, and disaster movie carnage, call 859-6811 for info.
…July 10-13, Shrek the Musical, Tryon Youth Theatre, Tryon Fine Arts Center, admission $22 adults/$11 under 18. Polk matches eligible for financial assistance. 859-2466 for info.
…July 11, Summer Tracks: Torch Singer, Tribute to Linda Ronstadt, Rogers Park, Tryon, 7-10:PM. Pizza, ice cream, drinks for sale. Free admission, donations suggested.
…July 11, Top of the Grade concert: Sound Investment, McCreery Park in downtown Saluda. Bring chair or blanket; picnics allowed. Free.
…July 12, Disney Junior Live on Tour! Pirate & Princess Adventure, Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium, $20-$50, 1-866-625-4586. Polk matches eligible for ticket assistance.
…July 14-20, 50 to 1, Tryon Theatre, PG13 for suggestive material and a bar room brawl, call 859-6811 for info.
…July 17, Teen book club & movie night, Polk Main Library. 4 pm book discussion, get next book free. The Book Thief movie, popcorn and drinks at 5 pm. FREE.
…July 22, Fizz Boom Reading Explosion magic show, Polk Co Main Library, 6 pm, free.
…July 23-27, Blended, Tryon Theatre, PG13 for language and sexual content, call 859-6811 for info
…July 24, Pacolet JAM Benefit Concert, Tryon Fine Arts Center, 7:PM by donation.
…July 25, Summer Tracks: Sol Driven Train, begins with children’s show! Rogers Park, Tryon, 7-10:PM. Pizza, ice cream, drinks for sale. Free admission, donations suggested.
…July 25, Top of the Grade concert: Aaron Burdette, McCreery Park in downtown Saluda. Bring chair or blanket; picnics allowed. Free.
…Saturday, July 26, BBBS Annual Pool Party & Picnic, 2-4:PM at Matthew’s in Columbus!!
…July 28-29, Fed Up documentary, Tryon Theatre, PG for thematic elements, brief language, and smoking, call 859-6811 for info.
…July 30-Aug 3, Maleficent, Tryon Theatre, PG for fantasy violence, call 859-6811 for info.
Gibson Park Pool is now open. Visit firstname.lastname@example.org for info or call 894-8199.
Tailgate Markets are open! Tryon: TH 4-6PM, Saluda: FR 4:30-6:30PM, Columbus: SAT 8:AM-12:noon.
FLATROCK PLAYHOUSE is now offering passes for a few Preview performances only, so please carefully note show dates:
- June 12-13, My Fair Lady, mainstage
- Aug 14-16, The Mystery of Irma Vep, playhouse downtown
- Oct 2-4, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, mainstage
- Nov 20-22, A Christmas Carol, mainstage
Summer Day Camp Opportunities: Polk Littles may be eligible for some camp scholarship funds.
- River’s Edge: email@example.com, call (828) 863-4688
- FENCE: firstname.lastname@example.org, call (828) 859-9092
- Polk County Recreation Dept: email@example.com, call (828) 894-8199
Felburn Foundation Nature Library, 3161 Hwy 176 next to Caro-Mi, open M-W-F, 12-6, (828) 859-6745, call for info on expanded hours.
There are lots of children’s activities at Hands On! A Child’s Gallery in Hendersonville: 828-697-8333, www.handsonwnc.org,
The Hendersonville Museum under the old courthouse downtown is free and open on Sundays from 1-5 p.m. http://www.hendersoncountymuseum.com/index.html
KidSenses Children’s Museum in Rutherfordton, (828) 286-2120, http://www.kidsenses.com/
For hiking, visit 1) the Norman Wilder Forest for a moderate 2-3 mile hike, Hwy 176 & Tau Rock Vineyard Rd, Tryon. 2) The trailhead to the Blue Wall Preserve is on Dug Hill Road off Lakeshore Drive on Lake Lanier. 3) FENCE has miles of hiking trails.
WNC Nature Center, Asheville: Free admission for Littles when their Bigs show participant cards.
For more regional discounts, visit our organization’s webpage at www.bbbswnc.org – Match Central.
Flat Rock Playhouse – Free tickets for select plays, contact BBBS.
Chimney Rock Park – Big pays, Little gets in free.
Pearson’s Falls is offering Polk Bigs/Littles free admission (regularly $5 ages 13 up, $1 ages 6-12) once per year. Present your BBBS ID card at the gatehouse. Pearson’s Falls is open, 10-5 M-Sat, noon-5 Sun. For info visit www.pearsonsfalls.org
Check out these regional websites:
Polk County Public Library Online Resources: Freegal: Download free music! Reading Rockets: Reading comprehension and language arts teaching strategies for kids. Homework help and other online learning tools from NC LIVE (call the library for password to access resources, 894-8721 Columbus, 749-2117 Saluda), http://www.publib.polknc.org.
For homework help via Polk County Library visit: http://nclive.org/browse/homeworkhelp
For more area activities:
More About BBBS Polk County:
Traditional Program: Volunteers are matched with Littles and develop friendships through outings in the community.
M&M: Volunteers spend one hour a week one-on-one with a student who needs a little extra attention at school. Schools served: O P Earle, Polk Central, Saluda and Tryon Elementary schools.